The following is informaion of the fatal drive-by shooting of Tupac in 1996 in Las Vegas, USA. We will cover the points of Tupac’s final 24 hours on earth. If you would like to read on the attempted murder of Tupac in 1994, New York, click here

The Last 24 Hours:
On 7th September 1996, Tupac decided he wasn’t going to go to Las Vegas with Suge (Knight) , but to Atlanta to settle problems with some of his relatives instead. Suge called ‘pac and persuaded him to change his plans. Tupac told his girlfriend Kidada that there was a heavy-weight boxing match that night at the MGM Grand, and weeks before he’d promised Suge he’d attend it with him. Tupac told Kidada she could come along, not to the fight though, as he didn’t want her around a bad bunch of people, but to the party Suge was having afterward at his ‘662 Club’ downtown.

When they got back his house in Calabasas, Kidada started packing for the journey. When she reached for Tupac’s bulletproof vest that he wore whenever in public, Tupac said, “No, It’ll be too hot.” She put the vest back, and then they left. One the way, they stopped at a gas station where Tupac bought five magazines about guns. He read them until they reached the Luxor Hotel. Tupac went to Suge’s mansion southeast of downtown. They partied for a while and Tupac made a video of him calling Keisha and another girl.

After leaving Suge’s, Pac went to the ‘MGM Grand’ hotel to watch the Mike Tyson vs Bruce Seldon bout. Tupac was pissed because Suge showed up at the last minute, just in time for the fight. They then took their seats, Tupac sat in ‘Section 4, Row E, Seat 2′. Tyson was declared the winner after only 109 seconds in the ring with Seldon. After the fight Tupac went backstage and meet up with Mike Tyson. At exactly 8:45 pm, Travon Lane (Tray) was walking near the hotel’s Grand Garden with the rest of the Death Row crew. Tray then pointed out Orlando Anderson to Tupac. The following scuffle was all caught on the hotel’s CCTV camera’s.

Tupac ran down the hallway until he met up with Orlando, he asked him’ “You from the South?”. Various words from the two were exchanged and then Tupac started beating the guy. Later the rest of the Death Row crew arrived and helped Tupac beat up Orlando, they knocked Orlando down and began kicking and punching him. The only bodyguard with the DeathRow crew had to pull Tupac out of the scuffle on two occassions, only for him to return. Because the fight was recorded and seen on CCTV, the fight was eventually stopped by the hotel security guards, and Orlando was held for questioning by the police, but allowed to leave after he declined to press charges. A man involved in the fight with Pac is held for questioning and then let go. The police never got the man’s name. On his exit from the building Orlando gave his $1000 signed fight ticket stub, to a guy. The guy said Orlando said to him “Here you go boy. Enjoy this.”

  Tupac left the MGM Grand at 8:55pm, to go back to the hotel. Tupac went up to MC Hammer’s car and relayed the incident that had just happened to his bodyguard, Frank Alexander. Hammer asked Tupac some questions about the fight and ‘pac said it was all squashed and not to worry about it. While Tupac was getting in his car he was bragging about how Tyson took Seldon out in 50 punches and all he had to do was three punches and the dude was on the ground. Frank Alexander said he had trouble getting Tupac to wear his vest, and that he wouldn’t wear it very often, in fact Tupac didn’t wear his vest the whole of that night, even though he’d just been in a fight. Frank said in his book he released that Tupac only wore his vest one time out of every 10. Since they were in Las Vegas they legally couldn’t carry guns, but guns were brought along anyways. They were in a hurry leaving the fight though, and Tupac’s bodyguard forgot his gun in his car.

When he got to the hotel he told Kidada, “Some nigga started a fight with me for nothing. Something’s up, you stay here.” He was also upset because he couldn’t find the Outlaws, who were supposed to be at the Tyson fight. He changed clothes then went back to Suge’s house. They got ready for a party at Suge’s club, ‘Club 662′, where Pac was going to perform that night. Tupac had wanted to drive his Hummer, but Suge said that they had things to discuss and got Tupac to ride with him. Two hours later, Suge, with Tupac in the passenger seat, in his black, tinted-window ’96 BMW 750 sedan, left the mansion, with the 10-car Death Row entourage behind them. They were listening to Tupac’s album ‘The Don Killuminati The 7 Day Theory’.

At 10:55pm, Tupac rolled down the window and a photographer took their picture at a red light, this was to be the very last picture of Tupac alive (see pic above). At 11:00pm, they were stopped on Las Vegas Blvd. by Metro bicycle cops for playing the car stereo too loud and for not having license plates, which were in the trunk on his rented car. Suge was not cited and was released a few minutes later.

Later, on Flamingo Road near the intersection of Koval Lane, Suge stops the vehicle for a red light. In front of the Maxim Hotel two girls (on the driver’s (Suge’s) side) distracted Tupac and Suge, Tupac was standing up through the open sunroof joking with them, and at 11:15pm, a white, four-door, late-model Cadillac with California plates pulled up. Two of the four men inside the car got out and fired thirteen rounds into the passenger side of the car, from a ‘Glock .40 caliber’ handgun. Tupac franticly tried to get into the backseat, and Suge pulled him down to the floor, a bullet bounced off of pac’s right hip bone and into his lung, he was also hit in his right hand and his chest. Suge was only grazed to the head by a bullet, and suffered minor wounds.

Immediately after the shooting, the Cadillac went south on Koval. Suge was well enough to make a sharp ‘u-turn’ from the left lane of Flamingo and sped West back toward Las Vegas Blvd., which was also away from the nearest hospital. Suge said that he told Tupac he’d get him to a hospital, and Tupac replied, “I need a hospital? You’re the one shot in the head.”

  Patrol officers on a nearby unrelated call at the Maxim Hotel had heard the gunshots and called for back-up. Two other officers followed the Suge’s BMW, which took a left on Las Vegas Blvd. South, and police finally reached the car when it was caught in traffic at the intersection of Las Vegas Blvd. and Harmon Ave and called an ambulance. The BMW was covered with blood and pieces of gold (from Tupac’s jewelry), and also had two flat tires. They brought Tupac out of the car and layed him down on the stretcher. He kept saying, “I can’t breath, I can’t breath.” The ambulance took Tupac and Suge to the University of Nevada Medical Center.

  Sgt Kevin Manning was assigned as leading investigator, and Cathy Scott was named lead reporter for the shooting (see pics). When the police questioned the bodyguard they continously asked if he had shot back, and when he said no they asked who had shot back. The bodyguard thought it was Suge’s friends, who were mostly members of the street gang known as The Bloods. Yafeu Fula (Yaki Kadafi of the Outlawz) had been in the car behind the BMW with bodyguards. He told the police that he could do a photo lineup for the shooters and gave the officers his number. A man told Compton police that at Club 662, he heard Tray say that the shooter was Orlando’s uncle Dwayne Keith Davis (Keefee D).

Tupac lost 22 oz of blood on the way to the hospital. As he was being carried to the emergency room he said, “I’m dying.” Tupac was admitted and listed in critical condition. His injuries included a gunshot wound to his right chest with a massive hemothorax and a gunshot wound to the right thigh with the bullet palpable within the abdomen. He also had a gunshot wound to a right finger with a fracture. The pre-operative diagnosis was a gunshot wound to the chest and abdomen and post-operative bleeding.

Just before midnight ‘Pac was taken to UMC’s Trauma Center. He was wheeled into the recovery area and was resuscitated according to advanced trauma life support protocol and a full trauma activation was called. He was placed on life support machines. Two liters of blood that had hemorrhaged into his chest cavity were removed. His pulse was very thready and initially he had minimal bloodpressure, which rapidly declined. He was taken immediately to the operating room for operative intervention and further resuscitation. He underwent surgery which consisted of ligation of bleeding, and a surgeon removed a bullet from his pelvic area which was done at midnight and finished at 2:35am on the 8th September. ‘Pac underwent another operation that started at 6:25 p.m. and lasted an hour. It was exploratory surgery, and his punctured right lung was removed to stop internal bleeding. He was back in his room at 7:45pm.

  The BMW Tupac and Suge were driving remained in the impound lot at ‘Ewing Bros. Auto Body and Towing’ lot in North Las Vegas, it’s right front and rear ends damaged. Police found no guns inside the car, just a cigar case and a Motorola cell phone. American Express said that Suge had rented 21 hotel rooms at $50 each for the night Tupac was in hosptial. Tupac was put in a medicinally induced coma and was placed on life support to take some pressure off his body.

Three members of the Bloods met at Lueders Park, and talked about retaliation against the Southside Crips for the attack on Tupac. On East Alondra on the 9th September at 2:58 pm, a man who Las Vegas police said may have been in the Cadillac which shot Tupac, was himself shot in the back. At 8pm, 20 of Tupac’s friends ran across the street from the traumacenter’s lobby to a car, which police had stopped. Sgt. Cindi West said that they had pulled up to see what was going on and a guy misunderstood and wouldn’t cooperate. The people came out not knowing what was going on and got in the way and were pushing some of the officers. Tupac then opened his eyes once, while Kidada was putting Don McLean’s “Vincent” into a player next to his bed. She asked him if he heard her and to move his feet and he did. She asked if he knew she loved him, and he nodded. But then he went into a coma. His concert in Oakland was cancelled.

On the 11th September, Bobby Finch, a Southside Crip who Compton cops said may have also been in the Cadillac, was gunned down on South Mayo at 9:05 am. Suge and three lawyers spoke with METRO police for an hour and left them with nothing in the way of leads towards suspects or motives. In Compton, Orlando’s cousin Jerry Bonds drove the white Cadillac into an autoshop on White and Alondra with another guy at 3pm. On the 12th Tupac was supposed to have gone to court for sentencing on weapons charges for carrying a concealed gun when he attacked Allen Hughes. On Friday the 13th, doctors tried to resuscitate Tupac several times, then Afeni said not to try again. When Tupac took his last breath Tupac’s aunt Gloria Jean praised his body and could bear witness to who it was. He died at 4:03 pm at the Intensive Care Unit. He was pronounced dead by Dr. Lovett of respiratory failure and cardiopulmonary arrest.

Frank Alexander, ‘pac’s bodyguard had been at Suge’s house, and Suge was mad at him and blaming him for not having his gun with him. He was coming towards him in a threatening way when the phone rang, and he found out Tupac had died. Suge told the bodyguard that it didn’t matter now because he’s gone, and Suge’s voice was cracking up like he was about to cry. Afeni made a positive identification of Tupac’s body at 5 pm. A mortuary van took his body to the Clark County Coroner’s office at 5:10 pm. They did an autopsy which determined that Tupac didn’t have any illegal drugs in his body, but was heavily sedated. The autopsy report is on file at the office, but is deemed by Nevada state law not to be public.

  There were ballistics tests, but the results have not been made public either. They took six pictures of him which were put on file at the office. Two general assignment detectives took Polaroid pictures of Tupac at the morgue for a police training book, but later they were removed from the book and destroyed. They sent his blood to Long Beach Genetics, who did the DNA testing to find the probability of Afeni and Billy Garland parentage which came back as 99.97%. Tupac was then cremated. Also on this day two more Bloods were shot and killed in the area by an assailant who fled on foot. On the 14th, Afeni spread some of his ashes on a hill in L.A. and some on her garden. Tupac’s family held a private funeral for him in Las Vegas. On the 15th, he was mourned during a memorial service at The House of the Lord Pentecostal Church in Brooklyn, where he was still listed as a member of the congregation. Police had thought that the man at the MGM Grand could have been a suspect, but was ruled out because security was still holding him when Tupac had left the building.

Because Tupac didn’t have a will, Afeni had to file court papers as the only living heir and that she was the administer of his estate. Death Row emptied the apartment and took the furniture which Tupac was charged over $100,000 for. Reporter Cathy Scott got hold of a supposed autopsy photo of Tupac dissected on a table at the morgue and was offered $100,000 for it from The National Enquirer. It is not an official coroner or police photo and could be a fake.

R.I.P. Tupac Amaru Shakur (Lesane Parish Crooks)
June 16, 1971 – September 13, 1996 (Age 25)